Healthcare - Health Services
4 Year Degree
Hospice Care of South Carolina is a place where you can impact the lives of others by helping our patients to live life to the fullest with dignity and comfort. We are the largest provider of hospice services in the state of South Carolina. We are dedicated to patient care, quality service, and employee satisfaction. We are currently seeking a compassionate and dedicated professional to join our team as the Child Life Specialist in the Charleston area.
· Individualized care and more time to spend with your patients and families
· Serving local community
· True Interdisciplinary approach
· 100% Pain control satisfaction
· 98.2% of our families would recommend Hospice Care of South Carolina to others
· Continuous education and professional development
Competitive salary and benefits (matching 401k, reward and recognition incentives, potential annual merit increase above the healthcare industry norm, great mileage reimbursement)
The Child Life Specialist provides education and therapeutic interventions to children and families receiving supportive care. The Child Life Specialist collaborates with the Interdisciplinary Group to support the individualized plan of care and implements appropriate therapies in order to minimize stress and anxiety of patients and families and provide non pharmacologic therapies in pain and symptom management.
- Determine the psychosocial needs of pediatric hospice patients and provide support to the entire family system.
- Provide appropriate educational materials and educate child and family on disease process specific to their diagnosis and developmental stage.
- Provide opportunities for play therapy and expressive activities for the children and siblings on hospice service.
- Offer procedural support and preparation to both patients and siblings, addressing coping techniques, supportive end of life discussions (child focused) and preparations for end of life.
- Understand developmentally how children experience hospitalization, death, dying and
6. Prepare siblings for medical visits and support change in family dynamics due to the
7.Develop and implement a comprehensive program encouraging legacy building, such as
scrap-booking, memory boxes, etc.
8. Educate other health care providers and care givers on the developmental perspectives of children with life-threatening diseases and validate their feelings and concerns.
9.Provide resources to families regarding bereavement.
10. Documents timely and accurately, care and services provided within a collaborative framework for the interdisciplinary group.
11. Participates in the Pediatric Program development through selected assignments and membership on the Pediatric Internal Resource Team.
12. May serve as a mentor to other Child Life Specialists.
13. Comply with DHEC regulations regarding hospice services.
14. Act as liaison between hospice and community agencies.
15. Develop and present education topics specific to child life service as requested.
16. Participate in HCSC patient/family support groups and the HCSC Bereavement Program as directed/needed.
17. Perform other duties as assigned.
Send resume via fax to 888-342-6895 or apply online at www.hospicecare.net.
- Minimum of Baccalaureate Degree
- Hold and maintain appropriate Child Life Specialist Certification
- Required 1 year of child life specialist experience in a medical setting
- Experience with hospice preferred
- Valid SC driver’s license
- Ability to read, write and speak English proficiently
- Must be willing and able to travel